Nunavut Commissioner’s Arts Award
Guidelines and Procedures
The Nunavut Commissioner's Arts Award was created by Commissioner Hanson to recognize artists who have made a substantial and distinguished contribution in the field of visual arts over a significant period of time.
The Award for significant contribution to the Arts will be awarded to one individual in the amount of $10,000.00.
Candidates must be Nunavut residents. To be nominated, candidates must have made a substantial and distinguished contribution to the performing arts over a significant time period
Individuals may be awarded the Award only once.
- Deadline for nominations is September 30.
- Nominations must be supported by three individuals or organizations.
- Nominators are responsible for providing support documentation by the deadline.
The deadline is September 30. Nominations and all supporting documentation must be postmarked no later than the deadline date. If this date falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, the deadline moves to the next business day. Nominations submitted by fax or email will be accepted. The Selection Committee will not consider incomplete submissions.
Support documentation, including support letters, is very important to the nomination and adjudication process. The following support documentation is required:
- A support letter from each nominator. Letters must include the name, fulladdress, telephone number, fax number and email address of each nominator.
- A short description of the nominee’s contributions to the performing arts and whythe nominee should receive the Award.
- Information about the nominee;
- The nominee’s area or type of work in the performing arts
- Current resume
- Nominee’s full home and office addresses, telephone numbers and email address
- Proof of nominee's residency
- The Office of the Commissioner and the Selection Committee are not responsible for any loss or damage to the support material.
Nominations are to be submitted to: as specified on nomination forms Nomination forms are also available on Commissioner’s website or by calling the Commissioner’s Office (867) 975-5120.
Nominations for the Award will be reviewed by a Selection Committee. The Committee will determine who will become the recipient of the Award by following a selection process. Committee members will be selected from the Nunavut arts sectors and will have recognized expertise and experience in the area of arts and culture.
Notification of Results
The Commissioner will notify the recipients in writing approximately one month before the presentation of the award. Results are not released over the telephone. Recipients must agree to allow photographs and public information about them to be used for promotion of the Award and in other promotional initiatives by the Commissioner’s Office. Recipients must also agree to participate in all award activities, including ceremony receptions, media conferences, and other related events.
SELECTION COMMITTEE - PROCEDURES
Selection of Committee Members
Each year, the Commissioner shall invite five individuals from the Nunavut arts and culture sector to sit as members of the Selection Committee.
Selection Committee Meetings
The Selection Committee will meet via Conference Call organized by the Office of the Commissioner.
Selection Committee Members will not receive any remuneration for their work.
The selection will be based on the following criteria:
- Quality / impact of work
The Award will consist of the following:
- Framed certificate
- Cheque for $10,000.00
The Award will be presented by the Commissioner of Nunavut at an Official Ceremony
Contact us at the Office of the Commissioner:
For correspondence by mail, please send to:
Office of the Commissioner
PO Box 2379
IQALUIT, NUNAVUT X0A 0H0
Email correspondence: email@example.com